Ukraine is due to introduce a new set of visa regulations that will be simpler and easier to understand than the current system.
PLEASE NOTE: The new system does NOT change the visa free system for citizens from countries already entitled to entry Ukraine under the visa free arrangements for a stay of up to 90 days.
Change of visa types
The new system introduces a new classification of visas depending on the purpose of a visit to Ukraine.
1. Transit visa.
2. Short-term visa (Duration of stay does not exceed 90 days during a 180-day period after the date of first entry).
3. Long-term visa (Authorising a stay exceeding 90 days). Such visa may be valid for up to 3 years.
Visas under the new system may be single-entry, double-entry and multiple-entry. In addition, the new regulations provide that citizens of Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Mauritius, El Salvador, the Seychelles and Turkey, who arrive for tourism purposes, shall have the right to obtain a single-entry visa at a State border checkpoint for a term of up to 15 days.
Expanding the categories of foreigners who can be granted temporary residence permits
A temporary residence permit allows foreigners to stay in Ukraine for a period exceeding 90 days without the need to extend their stay with the authorities and gives the right to freely enter Ukraine and leave its territory.
Besides the persons who at present have the right to obtain temporary residence permits (such as foreign employees of Ukrainian companies who obtained employment permits), according to the new visa regulations the following categories of foreigners will also be given the right to obtain a temporary residence permit:
- Persons who arrive in Ukraine in order to work at a branch, division, representative office or other structural unit of a social (non government) organisation of a foreign state.
- Persons who arrive in Ukraine in order to work at a foreign business entity's representative office registered in accordance with the established procedures.
- Persons who arrive in Ukraine in order to work at a foreign bank's branch or representative office registered in accordance with the established procedures.
Timeframe for consideration of visa applications
The new system does not establish a time frame for consideration of visa applications and issuance of visas. In practice, it is expected to take one week. But as with all Ukrainian systems it will vary from one office to another. However the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine declared that the respective authority must make a decision within 15 calendar days after receiving a visa application. The period of consideration may be extended up to 30 calendar days. The procedure and time frame for considering an urgent visa application shall be established by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine.
The fees under the new system will be:
- Single-entry visa – USD 85
- Double-entry visa – USD 130
- Multiple-entry visa – USD 200
Urgent issue of a visa is subject to a double consular fee.
The introduction and implementation of a new visa system in Ukraine will further assist towards the adaptation of visa policies within the EU and will help to increase the efficiency of illegal migration prevention.
The BBCU strongly recommends all British citizens and other foreign nationals who are living and or working on the territory of Ukraine to conform with the immigration requirements of the country.
To obtain further advice please contact the BBCU office in Kyiv: Tel: 2357223