04 September 2010

Migrants marrying UK citizens must now learn English

In the United Kingdom the count down has started to 29 November 2010.
From this date, any migrant who wants to enter or remain in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person settled there will need to show that they can speak and understand English, by taking an English language test with one of the UKBA approved test providers.

The new rules will apply to anyone applying as the husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner, same-sex partner, fiance(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or a person settled in the UK. They will be compulsory for people applying from within the UK as well as visa applicants from overseas.

Anyone wishing to come to the UK as a partner will need to demonstrate basic English at A1 level, the same level required for skilled workers admitted under Tier 2 of the points-based system.

Quote: The minimum standard that applicants will need to meet is in speaking and listening at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. The list of approved tests and providers includes some tests above A1 level - this is because we will also accept tests in speaking and listening, or in speaking and listening with additional skills such as reading or writing, that are taken at a higher level with an approved test provider. We have made this decision to give people as wide a choice as possible, and to provide for people who:
have already taken a test at a higher level with one of the approved test providers; or
want to take a test at a higher level for work or study reasons.

A partner coming to the UK from outside Europe will need to provide evidence with their visa application that they have passed an English language test with one of the approved test providers.

Imagine what would happen if the Ukraine government decided that foreigners had to be able to speak/read/write Ukrainian and/or Russian language before they could settle in Ukraine? The mind boggles.

No comments: